Map Reference: D3735078 (3373, 4078)
This is a fine example of Scottish Baronial architecture. It was built in 1625 by James Shaw of Greenock and added to about 1760. It is a rectangular building with a flanking tower at the NE containing a spiral stone stairway. It is four storeys high. The walls are about 1.5m thick and the small corner turrets are carried on sub-turret corbelling. They are pierced with musketry loopholes. It was surrounded by a bawn with four corner turrets but the side nearest the sea was removed with the coast road was built in the 1840s. The castle now forms part of an hotel which was built in the 1940s.
Return to County Antrim List
Return to Gazetteer