Map Reference: D088439 (3088, 4439)
Kinbane Castle was built in 1547 by Colla Dubh MacDonnell. It was captured and partly demolished by the English in 1551 but was reoccupied. The remains consist of an irregular courtyard with a two-storey tower-house in the SSW corner. The courtyard measures about 40m by 27m and still retains part of its curtain wall.
The tower is square and measures 6.8m externally and 4m internally. Much of the SE corner has fallen into the sea. Otherwise it survives to roof level (c7m high). The doorway is at ground level in the centre of the north wall and there are remains of a roof walk.
Return to County Antrim List
Return to Gazetteer