Map Reference: D413016 (3413, 4016)
This castle stands at the end of the Curran promontory. According to a map of 1610 it was originally called Coraine Castle. It was probably built by Sir Arthur Chichester to replace an earlier castle. The walls are less than 1m thick so it may never have served as a military strongpoint. It is more likely to have been a fortified warehouse.
Most of the walls are now missing but the base of a fine stone doorway is preserved as well as several internal walls at the ground floor. The building may have been three or four storeys high but there is no sign of a barrel vault. There are several pairs of narrow recessed windows which are suitable for musketry. There are no signs of any fireplaces or other domestic features. However they may have been in the missing walls.
Return to County Antrim List
Return to Gazetteer