Armagh Market Houses
According to an inscription below the cornice of Armagh Market House the building dates from 1815. However there is some evidence that it may not have been completed until about 1819. The architect may have been Thomas Duff or Francis Johnston. The original building was two storeys high with a five bay facade. The two outer bays break forward slightly and have rusticated ground floors. In 1913 the roof was removed and a third storey was inserted. The new stonework consisting of large limestone blocks closely resembled the original and with the passage of time the match has become more complete. The building was used as a technical school although the lower storey continued to be used as a grain market until the Second World War.
The Corn Market in Dawson Street was built in 1827. It is a nine-bay single-storey building with a central square tower. At either end is a pedimented pavilion linked to the tower by long walls each of which has three recessed arches. Each of the pavilions has an archway. The tower is topped by a wooden cupola incorporating a clock-face on each side. Above this is a louvered oval opening. There is a copper dome with a weathervane.
Return to County Armagh List
Return to Gazetteer