Map Reference: H876447 (2876, 3447)

The Franciscan friary was founded by Archbishop O'Scannail in 1263. It played an important part in the city's religious life until the suppression in 1542. The remains consist mainly of the W gable of a 13th century church with part of the arcade of a S aisle. Excavation in the 1960s revealed traces of a N cloister.

For more examples of Franciscan Friaries click on the following links

Bonamargy, Co Antrim Ennis, Co Clare Quin, Co Clare Buttevant, Co Cork Timoleague, Co Cork Claregalway, Co Galway Kilconnell, Co Galway Meelick, Co Galway Rosserrily, Co Galway Ardfert, Co Kerry Lislaughtin, Co Kerry Muckross, Co Kerry Castledermott, Co Kildare Creevelea, Co Leitrim Adare, Co Limerick Askeaton, Co Limerick Dundalk, Co Louth Moyne, Co Mayo Rosserk, Co Mayo Nenagh, Co Tipperary Roscrea, Co Tipperary

Return to County Armagh List
Return to Gazetteer