Map Reference: H964307 (2964, 3307)
This ruined church was built in the 17th century but probably replaces a much earlier structure. It continued in use until its replacement in the 19th century. It is a rectangular building with a double bell-cot on the west gable and a doorway in the west wall. There are some round-headed windows.
There are very many plain grave markers in the graveyard. They are irregular flat slabs, some of which have inscriptions dating them to the mid-18th century. There are a number of 19th century memorial stones including some with angels heads. The graveyard is the resting place of Florence MacMoyer (d.1713). He was the last hereditary keeper of the Book of Armagh which he pawned for £5. He was also the chief informer who brought about the execution of Oliver Plunkett.
The photographs were taken about 20 years ago and the church is now greatly overgrown with ivy.
Return to County Armagh List
Return to Gazetteer