Craigmore Railway Viaduct
Map Reference: J066284 (3066, 3284)
The great viaduct at Craigmore is one of the most impressive railway structures in Ireland. It is a gracefully curving viaduct of eighteen arches each about 18m in span and ranging in height from about 21m to 42m high.
It was built by William Dargan for the Dublin & Belfast Junction Railway in 1851, and designed by Sir John McNeill.
Photograph by Mairin Moss
Dargan and McNeill also built the Egyptian Arch which spans the A25 a short distance south of the viaduct.
It was so named because it looks like an Egyptian temple pylon. Both bridges are built from local granodiorite.
Return to County Armagh List
Return to Gazetteer