Moneypenny's Lock, Newry Canal
Map Reference: J033531 (3033, 3531)
The lockkeeper's house at Moneypenny's Lock probably dates from about 1804 when a considerable renovation and rebuilding was carried out on the Newry Canal under the direction of John Brownrigg.
It is a two-storey building with a single-bay gabled section facing the canal. Beside it is a bothy containing a warehouse, stabling for eight canal horses and lodging for the lightermen.
Return to County Armagh List
Return to Gazetteer