Moyry Castle, Carrickbroad
Map Reference: J057146 (3057, 3146)
Moyry Castle stands on the hillside near Kilnasaggart Stone. It is a small rectangular tower three storeys high. It has rounded corners and the walls are about 1.2m thick. There are many gun-loops and the doorway in the north east is protected by a machicolation.
There is a fireplace at first floor level. There are no stairs. The tower is set in the corner of a small bawn parts of which still stand up to 2.75m high. The bawn was probably entered at NE & formed a defensive courtyard.
The castle was built in 1601 by Lord Mountjoy to help secure Moyry Pass and the Gap of the North.
Return to County Armagh List
Return to Gazetteer