Tynan Railway Station
Map Reference: H767442 (2767, 3442)
This interesting little station was built about 1858 on the Stronge estate at the edge of Tynan. It is a fanciful Gothick structure with steeply-pitched roofs, diamond-mullioned windows and (originally) a low spire. This ecclesiastical appearance was probably inspired by the Stronge's family home at Tynan Abbey.
The large transhipment shed nearby is built in a similar style. This contrasted strongly with the typical Great Northern signal cabin.
The station was also the terminus for the Clogher Valley Railway which was built in 1887. The curving platform edge from the narrow gauge line is clearly visible.
Return to County Armagh List
Return to Gazetteer