The Vicar's Cairn, Carnavanaghan
Map Reference: H914397 (2914, 3397)
This cairn was greatly disturbed in the early 19th century by amateur archaeologists and treasure seekers. In the late 18th century it was reported that a passage or chamber was uncovered and in 1797 it was described as a conical mound of stones surrounded by a kerb. In the next few years there are newspaper reports of the removal of enormous quantities of stone, but that nothing worthy of notice was found. However there are reports of stones with concentric circles and rectangular marks being found. The cairn today is topped by a triangulation pillar but there are no signs of any marked stones, nor any structural stones. However the site is important because it it one of the few recognised passage tombs in Co Armagh.
Return to County Armagh List
Return to Gazetteer