Bagenalstown (Muine Bheag) Railway Station
Map Reference: S709614 (2709, 1614)
The designer of the wonderful little railway station is unknown. It was built about 1850 when the line was built from Carlow to Kilkenny. It consists of a seven-bay two-storey central block with a three-bay pedimented breakfront. This is flanked by two arched entries at the ground floor with small circular windows at the upper floor. Flanking this central structure are two single-storey pedimented pavilion blocks.
At the platform the space between the pavilions is spanned by a single-storey arcaded shelter. This shelter is mirrored on the opposite platform by a detached single-storey arcaded shelter.
The station has a signal-box (now out of use) and a fine metal footbridge. There are plans to extend the platform and the signal-box is due for demolition.
In 1870 it became a junction for the Borris to Palace East Branch built by the Bagenalstown & Wexford Railway. The main building material seems to be limestone with sparkling white granite for the quoins and the window frames.
Return to County Carlow List
Return to Gazetteer