Map Reference: S746585 (2746, 1585)
Ballyloughan Castle was probably built in the 13th century. It consisted of a rectangular courtyard, about 46m by 43m, fortified by a high curtain wall with a double-towered gatehouse in the middle of the south wall. All that remains is the gatehouse and rectangular corner towers at NE and SW. The rectangular gatehouse has two circular towers of three storeys flanking an arched entranceway.
There are stairwells within the thickness of the walls and a machicolation at second floor level protects the entrance. The tower at the south west corner has two storeys and mural passages and chambers.
It appears that the castle may have been abandoned in the 14th century. It belonged to the Kavanaghs and was occupied by Donogh Kavanagh at the end of the 16th century. After the Restoration it came into the possession of the Bagenal family and was bought by the Bruens in the early 19th century.
Return to County Carlow List
Return to Gazetteer