Map Reference: S777542 (2777, 1542)
This small rectangular single-celled church probably dates from the 8th or 9th century. It is built of well-finished granite boulders and has good antae on the east gable. Only the lower courses of the south and west walls are preserved.
There is a fine round-headed east window with a splayed rounded rear arch. Inside is a granite font with a rectangular basin. In the church the Leinstermen venerated the founder, St Fortchern, who was the teacher of St Finian of Clonard.
Return to County Carlow List
Return to Gazetteer