Spring Stream Mill, Milford
Map Reference: S700704 (2700, 1704)
This eleven-bay seven-storey mill is one of the earliest of the large mill buildings. It was built about 1820 and like the mills at Levittstown, Co Kildare and New Haggard, Co Meath, it has a crenellated parapet. In 1891 it became a hydro-electric generation plant. It was used as the source of power to light Carlow town, which was the first inland town in Britain or Ireland to be so lighted. It was re-commissioned about 1990 when a concrete-block turbine-house was added. It now contributes to the national grid.
Return to County Carlow List
Return to Gazetteer