Ballyhaise Market House
Map Reference: H448112 (2448, 3112)
In 1801 it was noted that Ballyhaise had a brick-built market house but the present building is of random rubble. There are five large granite arches at the ground floor and four small square windows at the upper level. A marble plaque in the middle of the upper wall is inscribed 'Humphrys Parochial Hall 1906'. This refers to the date when the building became the parochial hall. The original building was erected c1740 for Brockhill Newburgh. It is attributed to Richard Castle who designed Ballyhaise House for Newburgh.
Return to County Cavan List
Return to Gazetteer