Map Reference: R488631 (1488, 1631)
This castle was built possibly in the 15th century by the McNamara Family. It is the birthplace of the famous Donnchadh Ruadh Mac Conmara. The Confederate Forces attacked and damaged the castle about 1646. The extent of the damage is not known but during the 20th century about half the building was dismantled and the stones used for building local houses.
The remaining ruin is badly overgrown with ivy which masks much of the detail. The castle would appear to have a vault over the ground floor. The ground floor is full of rusting farm machinery.
The back wall seems to have been badly burnt and both the windows are blocked with timber. The stairway is missing but it is possible to reach the first floor by walking up the remains of the wall.
There is a fireplace and two small windows at first floor level. There is a another vault over the second floor. However this level is not accessible.
Return to County Clare List
Return to Gazetteer