Ballycullen Castle



Map Reference: R503683 (1503, 1683)

Photo by Liam Bennett

This castle was built about 1430 by John McNamara. It is situated on a grassy hill overlooking the surrounding area. The ground floor of the castle contains the guardroom and the large cellar.

Photo by Liam Bennett

Over the guardroom is the murder hole room. However this is only accessible by climbing up through the floor.

Photo by Liam Bennett

In this room there are 2 arrow slits. The spiral staircase no longer exists except for a few narrow steps higher up.

Photo by Liam Bennett

The first floor can still be reached by short straight stairway. On the first floor there is a short passage which leads to the latrine chute. The main room on the first floor is covered in grass and has 3 large windows.

Photo by Liam Bennett

There is also a higher entrance to the spiral staircase on this floor. Only a small part of the second floor remains. This is the small room above the murderhole room. This can be reached by entering the spiral staircase from the higher entrance and climbing a few of the extremely narrow steps. The room is entered through a well retained archway.

Photo by Liam Bennett

Inside the room is one arrow slit.

The ruins of an RIC barracks can still be seen adjoining the castle. This was built here in the 19th century because of the great vantage point.

Photo by Liam Bennett



Return to County Clare List
Return to Gazetteer