Map Reference: R452610 (1452, 1610)
In 1277 Thomas de Clare built the first stone castle at Bunratty. The present structure was built about 1460 by the MacNamaras. Early in the 16th century it was held by the O Briens, who became the Earls of Thomond, and remained in the castle until 1712. The large three-storey rectangular tower has four corner flankers. The pairs of flankers on the N and S sides are linked by broad arches.
The original entrance is in the N wall. The ruined castle was purchased in 1954 by Viscount Gort and restored. Only the reconstruction of the roof and battlements is conjectural.
Return to County Clare List
Return to Gazetteer