Map Reference: M196001 (1196, 2001)
This cashel was in use until the late 17th century when it was known as O’Davoren’s Town. Earlier in the century Duald MacFirbis, the famous genealogist, lawyer and historian studied the old Irish Brehon Laws here under Donald O’Dovoren, the author of an Irish glossary. The fort is circular with a diameter of about 30m. It is entered through the remains of a two-storey late-medieval gatehouse. The ground level within the fort is higher that that outside suggesting a long period of habitation. The foundations of rectangular buildings can be seen just under the surface.
Remains of the two-storey gatehouse. Note the corbels which would have supported the upper floor.
Return to County Clare List
Return to Gazetteer