Clare Augustinian Abbey

Map Reference: R348758 (1348, 1758)

The abbey of SS Peter and Paul, known as de Forgio, after River Fergus, was built for the Augustinian Canons by Donal Mor O Brien about 1189. After the Suppression the abbey continued more or less as normal for a short time. In 1573 it was re-granted to Conor O’Brian, Earl of Thomond, and afterwards remained with that family. Nicholas O’Nelan, abbot of Clare, is listed among the monks living in the diocese of Killaloe in 1613. Some parts of the church date back to the earliest period but the majority of the existing buildings date from the 15th century. Around 1461, during the reign of Teige Acomhad O Brien, the tower was built, the east window was inserted and the domestic buildings were added. Many of the windows are richly decorated. There is a good bullaun stone lying close to the abbey.

For details of other Augustinian Friaries click on the links below

Killone, Co Clare Ballybeg, Buttevant, Co Cork Bridgetown, Co Cork Dungiven, Co Derry Clontuskert, Co Galway Dunmore, Co Galway Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry Callan, Co Kilkenny Kells, Co Kilkenny Adare, Co Limerick Rathkeale, Co Limerick Abbeyderg, Co Longford St Mary‘s, Drogheda, Co Louth Ballintubber, Co Mayo Cong, Co Mayo Errew, Co Mayo Ballyboggan, Co Meath Athassel, Co Tipperary St Mary‘s, Cahir, Co Tipperary Fethard, Co Tipperary

Return to County Clare List
Return to Gazetteer