St Columba's Church, Crumlin
Map Reference: M109041 (1109, 2041)
St Columba flourished in the middle of the 6th century and, although the church is named after him, there is no suggestion that it dates from his time. The ruin probably dates from the 10th century. It is an rectangular building constructed mainly of large stones, but only the east gable and part of the south wall stand to any height. The rest is merely low rubble ruins. The windows in the east and south have round heads with the outer portions being constructed of single blocks. Inside there is a splay with arched semicircular heads. A souterrain is reported to the west of the church.
Return to County Clare List
Return to Gazetteer