Map Reference: R632624 (1632, 1624)
Originally called the "Castle of Dunasse" but now known as "John's Castle".It is located on a grassy hill in the townland of Rineroe near Dunasse. Little is known of the history of this castle except it was owned by Shane MacNamara in 1580. So presumably it was built or at least taken over by the MacNamara clan.
View from the rear
Very little of this castle remains. The back wall is completely missing. There is an exposed latrine chute running down the length of the castle from above the vault. There is little of note on the ground floor, just one arrow slit and one ruined window.
An arrow slit
The first floor is missing and there are no visible openings. At the floor above there is another arrow slit and a square window. Above this the ceiling is vaulted, but the third floor is inaccessible.
Looking up the latrine chute
Return to County Clare List
Return to Gazetteer