Killone Augustinian Convent



Map Reference: R323732 (1323, 1732)





This is one of the few old Irish nunneries. It was founded about 1189 by Donal Mor O’Brien for the Augustinian nuns and dedicated to St John the Baptist. O’Brien founded Clare Abbey for the Augustinian canons at the same time. The names of only two of the abbesses are known. Slaine, daughter of Donnchad Cairbreach O’Brian died in 1259 and Dubcollaithig O’Brien died in 1350. After the Suppression the abbey was vested in the Crown in 1584 and was ruinous by 1617. Some of the remaining buildings date from the first quarter of the 13th century.







Of particular note are the Romanesque east windows with a passage through them within the wall. In the 15th century the church was shortened when the present west wall was built. Much of the north wall was then renewed and some domestic buildings were added.










For details of other Augustinian Friaries click on the links below

Clare Abbey, Co Clare Ballybeg, Buttevant, Co Cork Bridgetown, Co Cork Dungiven, Co Derry Clontuskert, Co Galway Dunmore, Co Galway Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry Callan, Co Kilkenny Kells, Co Kilkenny Adare, Co Limerick Rathkeale, Co Limerick Abbeyderg, Co Longford St Mary‘s, Drogheda, Co Louth Ballintubber, Co Mayo Cong, Co Mayo Errew, Co Mayo Ballyboggan, Co Meath Athassel, Co Tipperary St Mary‘s, Cahir, Co Tipperary Fethard, Co Tipperary



Return to County Clare List
Return to Gazetteer