Kilkerin Fort, Lakyle North
Map Reference: R094507 (1094, 1507)
The fort at Kilkerin Point is a subrectangular structure bounded by a massive earthen bank and deep ditch, both stone-lined. It was built c1810. Along the western edge are six D-shaped gun-sites. Close to this edge is a small strong-house, partly underground, which may be the magazine. It is four bays long. Along the eastern edge of the fort is a massive rectangular blockhouse. It is a six-bay, single-storey building with a basement. Beside it is evidence that the pit had been spanned by a drawbridge.
Return to County Clare List
Return to Gazetteer