Map Reference: M263103 (1263, 2103)
This tower house is situated close to the shore in Muckinish West. The south wall is more or less intact and there are good remaining portions of the east and west walls. The north wall has fallen and the heap of rubble on that side obscures much of the architectural detail of the lower storeys. The castle appears to have been five storeys high and there are remains of vaults above the first and third floors. The castle was lit throughout by small single lights except at the top floor where there are remains of a large three-light mullioned window in the south wall. There is a good machicolation at parapet level above this window. The parapet on the east wall is carried on projecting corbels.
Return to County Clare List
Return to Gazetteer