Quin Franciscan Friary
Map Reference: R419745 (1419, 1745)
Quin Franciscan Friary was founded by either Macon or Sioda Cam MacNamara in 1433.
The pointed west doorway is surrounded by a square mould and topped by a large two-light window.
There is a south transept with a three-light south window, two two-light east windows and a two-light west window.
There is a piscina with a double basin in the south wall. This is somewhat enigmatic in that one of the columns of the piscina encroaches on one of the basins, which are octagonal. There is a plain tomb niche in the north wall of the nave. In the south wall is a deep Holy Water stoup, which has an octagonal basin and a vaulted covering. A tall central tower rises to three storeys above the crossing and has a very fine vault. There is a three light east window in the chancel.
In the northeast corner is a tomb with a canopy supported by four pillars. There is a two-light south window and another tomb niche in south wall. The cloister is to the north of the nave.
It is intact with arcade and vaulted walks. There are good wicker marks in the vault. The arcade has the usual dumbbell-shaped pillars in groups of two with a buttress at each division within the cloister garth.
There are two-storey buildings along the west, north and east of the cloister. They have very fine vaults.
Those in the north and east have fireplaces. In the west range there is an inserted mausoleum of the Butler Family. The upper storeys of all these buildings are accessible, as is the passage, which runs along the north side of the cloister. The friary sits on the foundation of an early castle, which had four large round corner towers. Traces of these can be seen particularly from the upper levels of the friary.
This castle was built in 1280 by de Clare but was destroyed early in the following century after the garrison killed an Irish chief called O'Liddy. A short distance to the west of the friary is the rectangular ruin of St Finghin's Church (R417744). It was built between 1278 and 1285 and a tall slim tower in the southwest corner was added later. The north wall is missing and the east wall has a good triple lancet. There are two narrow lancets in the south wall. To the south of the church is a mausoleum to Captain William Spaight who died June 7 1801.
More Photos of Quin Franciscan Friary
For more examples of Franciscan Friaries click on the following links
Bonamargy, Co Antrim
Armagh, Co Armagh
Ennis, Co Clare
Buttevant, Co Cork
Timoleague, Co Cork
Claregalway, Co Galway
Kilconnell, Co Galway
Meelick, Co Galway
Rosserrily, Co Galway
Ardfert, Co Kerry
Lislaughtin, Co Kerry
Muckross, Co Kerry
Castledermott, Co Kildare
Creevelea, Co Leitrim
Adare, Co Limerick
Askeaton, Co Limerick
Dundalk, Co Louth
Moyne, Co Mayo
Rosserk, Co Mayo
Nenagh, Co Tipperary
Roscrea, Co Tipperary
Return to County Clare List
Return to Gazetteer