Map Reference: R467629 (1467, 1629)
Rossmanagher Castle was built sometime around the 15th century by John McMahon-McDonagh MacNamara, but was in 1570 given to the Earl of Thomond. In1646 when Bunratty was attacked by the confederate army, a party from Bunratty occupied Rossmanagher castle however they were forced to surrender by the confederates. On the 22nd of December 1675 the Earl of Thomond leased the castle to a Mr.Abraham Dester. It was occupied until the mid 1800s and then fell into ruin.
The castle is found on a high rocky outcrop overlooking the Ratty River, just 2km upstream from Bunratty Castle. The ground floor has 4 entrances.
Most were once windows but were widened to allow cattle to enter the castle for shelter. There is a spyhole right beside the main entrance, which would have been used to see visitors or in later years to shoot them.
The ground floor contains one plain fireplace and little else. The spiral staircase only rises to the first floor before it ends. The first floor is only a small room at the front of the castle.
It contains the murder hole and a few arrow slits. From this room 3 large steps take you to the 2nd floor.
This floor consists of a large overgrown room and a small passage which leads to the latrine chute.
All above floors have collapsed.
Return to County Clare List
Return to Gazetteer