Map Reference: R494021 (1494, 1021)
Ballyclogh Castle is a tower-house with square bartizans at opposite corners. It is five storeys high. There is an entrance at ground level and a second entrance at first floor level reached by an external stairway. The floors appear to be in place but are badly damaged. The spiral stairway seems to be intact. The building appears to be in use as a store and the interior is not normally accessible. The interior walls are plastered and the castle seems to have been inhabited until modern times. There are good chimneys and some mullioned windows. The ceiling of the ground floor room is vaulted. The castle was built by the Barrys and forfeited by them in 1641. It was then granted to the Purdons.
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer