Bridgetown Priory


Map Reference: W692998 (1692, 0998)



Bridgetown Priory was founded for the Canons Regular of St Augustine by Alexander FitzHugh Roche between 1206 and 1216. It was colonised by monks from Newtown trim and St Thomas's, Dublin. By the end of the 13th century it had become the chief burial place of the Roches.



The church, on the N side of the cloister, is divided into two parts. The eastern section has 13th-century lancet windows and a good 15th-century tomb niche. The three lancet windows were reduced in size in the 15th or 16th century.



There are considerable portions of the domestic buildings, including a covered passage along the E side of the cloister. On the first floor of the S range of buildings there is a fine refectory with 13th-century lancet windows.



After the Suppression the priory passed to Roger Pope of Grangegorman but it was surrendered to Sir Henry Sidney, Lord Deputy, in 1576.






Some More Photos of Bridgetown Priory


For details of other Augustinian Friaries click on the links below

Clare Abbey, Co Clare Killone, Co Clare Ballybeg, Buttevant, Co Cork Dungiven, Co Derry Clontuskert, Co Galway Dunmore, Co Galway Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry Callan, Co Kilkenny Kells, Co Kilkenny Adare, Co Limerick Rathkeale, Co Limerick Abbeyderg, Co Longford St Mary‘s, Drogheda, Co Louth Ballintubber, Co Mayo Cong, Co Mayo Errew, Co Mayo Ballyboggan, Co Meath Athassel, Co Tipperary St Mary‘s, Cahir, Co Tipperary Fethard, Co Tipperary



Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer