Carrigaline East Castle
Map Reference: W745628 (1745, 0628)
There are substantial remains of this castle which may have been started in the early 13th century. It is known that Philip de Prendergast was granted lands here in 1207. He was succeeded through marriage by the Cogans and the castle later passed into Fitzgerald hands. It is built on a rocky outcrop, overlooking the Owenboy estuary. There are good portions of a bawn wall with a tower standing four-square near one edge. At the other side of the bawn are the remains of a tower with one chimney stack. The main tower is vaulted at first floor level and there are some remains of a straight mural stairway leading to this floor. There are some defensive slits at the lower level.
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer