Map Reference: W561926 (1561, 0926)
In the NW corner of an oval earthwork stand the remains of a rectangular structure, with a partially collapsed, four-storey tower built against its north wall. Only three wall fragments of the rectangular structure remain, but only to two storeys. These fragments feature several window openings and there may have been a doorway in the east wall. However much of the facing stones are missing and the remnants are poorly preserved and overgrown in parts. This structure appears to be the remains of a late 12th or early 13th century hall.
The west and south S walls of attached tower have collapsed above first floor level but the north and east E walls stand to near full height. The ground floor chamber is covered by rounded wicker-centred vault.
There is a double-splayed window in N wall but much of S wall gone. The recess in E wall appears to be blocked stairs.
Access to the higher floors is difficult but it can be seen that there are windows in the centre of the north wall at first, second and third floor levels.
In the NE corner, at the second floor, there is a two-light window with a flat head and transom. The mullion stands at the corner of the tower. This is very similar to windows in Desmond Castle, Kinsale. At the top of the NE corner there are corbels from a missing bartizan. There are some traces of a gabled roof. This attached tower has all the appearance of a 15th or 16th century tower-house.
The original builders may have been the de Cogans, from whom the Earl of Desmond acquired it in 1439. It was not occupied by the Barretts until the early 17th century. It was destroyed by Cromwellian forces around 1651. It was reported that a three-quarter round tower stood at the south side. This was pulled down in 1835 and there is now no trace.
Some More Photos of Castle Barrett
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer