Map Reference: W261359 (1261, 0359)
Coppinger's Court, in Ballyvireen townland, is a rectangular building aligned approximately NW-SE with a projecting wing in the middle of the westerly wall and two projecting wings at the ends of the easterly wall. There are at least nine gables. Below the gables, for most of the wall, is a bartizan carried on corbels.
The windows are mostly three-light with mullions and square hood moulding but most of the worked stone at the doors and windows has been removed. There is a good stringcourse at the level of the first floor windows and two sets of triple chimney pots and one single. The main building is three storeys high plus attic.
The kitchen appears to have been in an extension at the NE corner where there is an oven. A low walled enclosure runs SE from the building. The house was built by Sir Walter Coppinger in the early 17th century and was burned in 1641.
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer