Butter Market, Cork City
Map Reference: W673723 (1673,0723)
The Firkin Crane is now a theatre but began its life as part of the Butter Market in 1842. It is a circular building and is presumably named after the weighing apparatus which was part of most butter markets. The large building beside the Crane is the butter market which was built in 1849 and designed by Sir John Benson. It is a double-height, three-bay building with a central round-headed doorway flanked by projecting pairs of Doric columns. The building was almost destroyed by fire in 1976 but this section and the colonnaded facades to north and south survive. It is now the Shandon Cultural Centre.
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer