English Market, Cork City
Map Reference: W674718 (1674, 0718)
This huge food market was seriously damaged by fire in 1980. The interior has now been largely reconstructed. The entrance on Princes Street was designed by Sir John Benson in 1860. It is a three-storey fašade built in the Byzantine Revival style in polychromatic brick. The double height central archway has iron gates and is topped by a pediment within which is a Diocletian window. Within the building there are many shops on several levels. All of them are devoted to food.
The other entrance to the market is on Grand Parade. It was erected in 1881. It has a two-storey four-bay central block, flanked by single storey wings. There is a clock within the raised central pediment.
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer