Elizabeth Fort, Cork City
Map Reference: W672714 (1672, 0714)
Elizabeth Fort was originally completed in 1602. It was completely rebuilt later in the century but the main features seem to date from the early 19th century. These include ramparts and bastions. Later in the century it was used as a RIC barracks. In the 20th century a Garda Station was built within the walls. Although the site is no longer a Garda Station most of the 20th century buildings remain as dwellings. A wooden walkway has be constructed so that it is now possible to complete almost a full circuit of the walls. Several tableaux have been erected along points of the circuit illustrating historical moments in the life of the fort. These include Elizabethan soldiers, cannons and cannoneers, and heads on pikes!
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer