Glanworth Dominican Priory

Map reference: R756045 (1756, 1045)

To the north of the castle, on the Mitchelstown Road, is a long rectangular church with a central tower. This is part of the Dominican priory founded in 1475 by the Roches, who also built the castle. It has a five-light traceried east window and three two-light windows with ogee heads in the south wall.

They are set within pointed recesses. There is a credence table and piscina in the south wall and a small doorway in the north wall. There are three small windows in the south wall at the west end and a large gap marks the position of the west window. There are good roof weepers along the top of the north and south walls at the east end of the church.

For details of other Dominican Friaries click on the links below

Newtownards, Co Down Athenry, Co Galway Kilmallock, Co Limerick Carlingford, Co Louth Burrishoole, Co Mayo Rathfran, Co Mayo Strade, Co Mayo Cloonshanville, Co Roscommon Roscommon, Co Roscommon Tulsk, Co Roscommon Ballindoon, Co Sligo Sligo, Co Sligo Cashel, Co Tipperary Lorrha, Co Tipperary

Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer