Map Reference: R759040 (1759, 1040)
Immediately east of Glanworth Castle, and tight against the base of the rock is Glanworth Mill. This mill seems to have been built about 1780 and to have had several functions during its lifetime. The OS map of 1842 indicates that it was a flour mill. This is reinforced by the discovery, during excavations at Glanworth Castle, of a paved area using old millstones. According to Lewis the millowners at that time were Murphy and Kelleher. At the beginning of the 20th century it was described as a woolen mill belonging to John F Quinlan & Co., and it was indicated that it had been burned 'many years ago'. Within the mill-race is a limestone basin for washing the wool. The present building is a seven-bay two-storey structure with a double gable, with single-storey extensions to south and north-east. The wheel-pit at the east gable is 4m wide.
Within it is a cast-iron poncelet water-wheel about 4.5m diameter and 2.5m wide. The tailrace runs southwards under Glanworth Bridge.
The building is now used as a restaurant and within it are some 20th century artefacts from the woolen industry. To the south of the mill is Glanworth Bridge. This has thirteen semicircular arches ranging in width from about 4.3m to 5.4m. The larger spans are near the centre of the bridge. Traditionally this bridge is dated to 1446, and despite its 17th century appearance, the early date is as likely as any other.
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer