Kanturk Market House
Map Reference: R382031 (1382, 1031)
Kanturk Market House was built in 1839 in Strand Street. It replaced the market house in Market Square which was built in 1747 on the site of an older market house which was referred to in 1657. The present building is a two-storey five-bay structure. The central three bays break forward and are topped by a pediment. There is a central wide entrance arch with three round-headed windows overhead. The roof is topped by a cupola with wooden louvres and a clock made by Mangans of Cork dated 1838. The building is now used by the Credit Union.
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer