Map Reference: R776071 (1776, 1071)
Much of the ruin of this rectangular church had been reduced almost to foundation level. About 1979 OPW carried out a reconstruction so that the average height of the walls is now about 1.5m. The west wall has a central doorway. This had a rounded arch, the voussoirs of which are now mounted on top of the wall. The antae at the corners of the west wall had been reduced to foundation level but have now been partly rebuilt.
In the eastern wall is a central window with a single long narrow round-headed light. There is a fragment of a round hood-mould on the outside. In the south wall is a window with a single narrow light. It has a semicircular hood-mould on the outside. A clear change in masonry style in the south wall shows that the church was extended eastwards. This would explain why the south window is closer to the centre of the south wall than the east end, which would be the normal position for such a window.
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer