Desmond Castle, Kinsale
Map Reference: W638506 (1638, 0506)
This is a small three-storey tower house built by the Fitzgerald Family. It may date from the 15th century. In 1581 it was owned by William Baines. It was used as a magazine at the beginning of the next century and subsequently it was a prison for foreign captives and later the borough gaol. It is sometimes known as the French Prison.
The central ground floor doorway has a pointed arch and floriated label stops. It may be a later insertion. Above it is a panel showing the arms of the Fitzgerald Family. At the first floor there are two two-light windows with ogee heads and divided by mullion and transom. There are similar windows at the corner angles but with rounded heads. There is another two-light window at the second floor level.
All the windows have good hood moulds.
Some More Photos Of Desmond Castle
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer