James Fort, Kinsale
Map Reference: W646496 (1646, 0496)
James Fort stands on a promontory on the west side of Kinsale Harbour, facing Charles Fort. It was built in 1602, shortly after the Battle of Kinsale. It was originally a pentagonal fort with spear-shaped earthen bastions at the corners, linked by straight curtain walls. Some of the stone facing remains of the landward side.
Centrally placed within it is a square fort with demi-bastions at each corner. In the middle of this fort is a stone castle with two towers and connecting buildings inside a rectangular bawn. The corner towers of the bawn project beyond the line of the curtain wall on the left. Close by at sea level is a small hexagonal fort.
Some More Photos of James Fort
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer