St Multose's Church, Kinsale
Map Reference: W637504 (1637, 0504)
St Multose’s Church has a rectangluar nave and chancel. There is a north transept and the nave has a north aisle. It may have been built for the first time in the early 13th century and the strong tower at the west end, with its round-headed doorway, may date from the earliest times.
The building was altered several times during the 18th and 19th centuries.
Inside the church are the old town stocks and a carved stone which may be a sheila-na-gig. There are also several good 17th century memorial stones, including one featuring a corpse in an open shroud, knotted at top and bottom. This is one of the few medieval parish churches in Ireland still in use.
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer