Map Reference: R452125 (1452,1125)
Liscarroll Castle was built in the 13th century possibly by David Oge Barry. It has the remains of three round flanking towers and the base of a fourth.
There is a large rectangular gatehouse in the south wall with a small square tower in the middle of the opposite wall. The gatehouse has the channel for a portcullis and the flanking towers have good narrow defensive slits set within deep recesses.
The tower in the NW corner has a mural stairway leading up from the first floor. A spiral stairway leads to the first floor of the gatehouse and a straight stair leads to the second floor. Another spiral stairway leads up to a garderobe with a good latrine chute and to a room at the top which has a small corner fireplace. There are some slopstones at this top level.
In 1625 the castle was acquired by Sir Philip Perceval but it was taken by Lord Castlehaven in a siege in 1642. It was returned to the Percevals during Cromwellian times and remained in the possession of their descendants, the Earls of Egmont, for many years.
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer