Mallow Market Houses
Map Reference: W561983 (1561, 0983)
The market house in Davis Street was built c1840. In its original form it would have been a two-storey building with a four-bay arcaded lower storey. The upper storey would have had five bays of tall, round-headed windows. The northernmost arcade arch now covers the throughway forming Shambles Lane. The other three arches are still in place and can be seen through the lean-to shop buildings which now form the front of the market house. At the upper level the original pair of windows can still be seen at the northern end of the building. The central window is now blocked but the original form is clear. At the southern end of the building a floor has been inserted at the upper level and the building at this end is now three storeys high. The original tall, round-headed windows have been replaced by two pairs of rectangular windows.
A short distance away, at the top of O’Brien Street, is the surviving south wall of the market place, built c1800.
It now forms the boundary wall of the new shopping centre. The wall is eleven bays long in total. The central five-bay section projects and has a central elliptical carriage archway flanked by two square-headed pedestrian entrances. This projecting section is completed by two end bays which have pediments. The central section is flanked by three-bay recessed sections which have a central elliptical carriage archway each flanked by square-headed pedestrian entrances. The wall is constructed of rubble limestone with dressed limestone quoins, copings and moulded cornices at the carriage archways. It may have been built at the instigation of Charles Jephson of Mallow Castle
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer