Newmarket Market House



Map Reference: R318072 (1318, 1072)





This little market house was built about 1810. It is two storeys high with a three-bay upper storey and a five-bay ground floor. This lower storey would have had an open arcade but the openings are now closed by a central doorway and four windows. The building occupies an unusual position at a corner on the hill, at some distance from the central cross roads of the town. There are references on some old maps to an area to the south-west known as ‘The Fair Field’





Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer