Timoleague Franciscan Friary

Map Reference: W472436 (1472, 0436)

Timoleague Franciscan Friary is an extensive ruin. There is a long church with a south transept. The nave has a south aisle of five bays and the transept has a west aisle of three bays.

The columns dividing the bays show a great variety. There are plain masonry divisions, round columns and elongated octagonal columns.

The transept has a small east chapel and a fine three-light south window. The west doorway of the nave is surmounted by a small recess and a large two-light window. There is a tomb niche in the north wall of the nave and another in the north wall of the chancel has fragments of a traceried hood. Mural passages in the east wall lead from the east window to a stairway in the north wall and to a room above the sacristy. There is a tall thin central tower.

It has no vault. The sacristy to the north of the church contains a fine bullaun stone.

A long two-storey building with a basement runs north from the sacristy. The cloister lies to the north of the church. The cloister arcade is divided into three-light groups with possibly three groups along each side. Only one corner has been reconstructed. The friary was founded in the early 14th century by Donal Glas MacCarthy or William de Barry. The tower was built about 1500 by the Bishop of Ross.

For more examples of Franciscan Friaries click on the following links

Bonamargy, Co Antrim Armagh, Co Armagh Ennis, Co Clare Quin, Co Clare Buttevant, Co Cork Claregalway, Co Galway Kilconnell, Co Galway Meelick, Co Galway Rosserrily, Co Galway Ardfert, Co Kerry Lislaughtin, Co Kerry Muckross, Co Kerry Castledermott, Co Kildare Creevelea, Co Leitrim Adare, Co Limerick Askeaton, Co Limerick Dundalk, Co Louth Moyne, Co Mayo Rosserk, Co Mayo Nenagh, Co Tipperary Roscrea, Co Tipperary

Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer