Map Reference: W606782 (1606, 0782)
The building of this tower was begun in1839 by Fr Matthew Horgan who was also responsible for the nearby church. It was designed by John Windele and intended to be a replica of an Irish Round Tower. A finely decorated Hiberno-Romanesque-style doorway was inserted c2m above ground level. Building ceased due to financial difficulties when the tower was c10m high. It was finally finished by Fr Horgan in 1845 although it bears the date1843. The upper section tapers more rapidly than the lower section so that the complete structure is somewhat bottle-shaped. This is not typical of a genuine Irish Round Tower.
Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer