The Clock Gate, Youghal

This tower was built in the early 1770s to replace the medieval Iron Gate, which was also known as Trinity Castle. This gate also held a gaol, a gaoler’s house and a bell room. The new structure is a four-storey tower over a large carriage arch. The top storey is a slightly later addition and it is topped by a cupola with a clock. The building served as the town gaol until 1837.

Return to County Cork List
Return to Gazetteer