Moneymore Market Houses
There are two large market houses in Moneymore. The first was built in 1819. It comprises a long two-storey building of 15 bays. The market house is the central three bays which had three small arches at the ground floor and is topped by a pediment. The original building had a small cupola but this was replaced by a turret with a clock at one face and coupled-arch openings at each face. The six-bay terraces on either side of the market house held a dispensary and an inn.
On the other side of the road is the New Market House built in 1839. This three-storey building is 11 bays long. The central three bays break forward and are topped by a pediment. The large central archway rises through two storeys and is flanked by small rectangular doorways at the ground floor. At the first floor the archway is flanked by small circular windows. The small windows at the top storey flank a large uninscribed panel. The wings contain shops and dwellings.
Return to County Derry List
Return to Gazetteer